For over one hundred years, families of the Pleasant Hill Community have known and revered the power of prayer and worship. It was through such spiritual dedication that the Reverend Stroud founded the Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church in 1887 out of Steward Chapel A.M.E. Church as a mission charge.
The first meetings of the Pleasant Hill Community people who started this congregation were held in a house, which was located three blocks, up the street from the present church location. The Reverend Stroud who operated a local shoe shop occupied this old four-room house, that was located at 283 Pursley Street, and operated the neighborhood store in one room, had church services in another room, and lived in the other room.
The second meeting place was a wooden structure located on the site, which is 279 Pursley Street. The third site was constructed on the corner of Pursley Street and Fourth Avenue in 1923. This structure was the first brick building housing the congregation and was renamed Greater Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church. Worship services were held in this structure for fifty years until the building was structurally damaged by a tornado in 1973. During the period of construction of the new building to house the congregation, worship services were held at the Mount Tema Primitive Baptist Church in the 300 block of Pursley Street.
It was the fourth Sunday, April 28, 1974, that the congregation marched from Mount Tema Primitive Baptist Church to the newly constructed church building. The Right Reverend Richard Allen Hildebrand, Presiding Bishop of the Sixth Episcopal District of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, delivered the dedicatory sermon and presided of the dedication services.
Greater Allen has indeed been blessed through the years. Because of the illustrious leadership and the dedicated membership, our church has been a light in the midst of darkness. Because of this light, many have answered the call to ministry, many of those who are hungry around us have been fed, the lost have been found, the overlooked have been recognized, and the neglected have been nurtured.!